Crock House

Crock House

3371 - Átány (Heves)
II. Rákóczi Ferenc utca 54. Hungary
Tel: (36) 482-001
Fax: 36) 482-803
web : Crock House

This is a list that contains such particulars of the museums, which can be useful for the people with limited physical capabilities.

The idea of making the first occurred to us when we tried to find some information about a Hungarian museum on the web. We then decided to try and provide more information to all potential visitors, involving the handicapped who are sometimes constrained to turn back from the museum gate, or - instead of enjoying the exhibition - to watch out for the obstacles standing in their way.

This house was the flat of a farmer having own property and horses - from the first half of the 20th century. In Átány the house is known as Kakas-house, for its former owner Samu Kakas lived and died in it. According to the master beam, the house was first built for József Bedécs in 1856. Later Imre Bedécs purchased (and partly inherited) the house. His daughter Zsuzsa married to Samu Kakas in 1920. Samu Kakas belonged to the poorer line of the famous Kakas family.

According to local traditions Átány, together with Bod and Vécs were untouched during the Turkish wars, when all villages were distroyed nearby. According to arcive materials, the inhabitants were forced to flee from the village several times, but we can suppose they kept on returning. Some family names - with Kakas among them - of the 16th centuary tithe lists still occour in later centuries.

From the 17th-18th century many members of the lower nobility lived in Átány, who - for several decades. Because of the nobles and because gentry rights were divided among several families quite far from one another, the life of Átány was hardly disturbed. The settlement could keep up its Calvinist religion, and its streets - in opposition to the rebuilt neighbouring villages - could retain their irregular network.

The house of Átány have thatched roofs and mud walls. Unique to them is the wrought iron ornament on the rop of the house. Workers doing the building and carving works, carved their names in to one of the planks of the open porch. That is how we know that their names were Béla Kováts és György Gatsal.

The prominently spacious courtyard of the house was used by the girlfriends of Zsuzsó Bedécs for ball games. There is only a pigsty in the yard, for the stables and barns were two streets further, in the stable garden belonging to the house.

The peasants of Átányon - just like in a number of other villages of the Alföld - had two properties near each other. In the middle of the village there were only dwelling houses, where the pigsties were placed, too. Men and boys over ten years of age spent most of their times in the gardens. They also slept there, and only went home to eat. The order of the days were determined by this commuting between the garden and the house. The family got together only for dining.

That is how Samu Kakas and his family used to live up to his death of 1966. His wife died in 1973. Their heirs divided the flat, moved away all the furniture and destroyed most parts of its equippments.

In 1975 the Authority of the Heves County Museums purchased and renovated the house. The pieces of furniture they could get back were replaced to their original place, and other pieces were attached to the previous interiour.

Please check with vendor for all aspects of the information displayed here as the cannot be held liable for any inaccuracies or omissions. We will do our outmost to ensure that the information is as accurate as possible, if you have any comments please email us with the information.

Professional Web Design and Hosting service