Jász Museum

Jász Museum

5100 - Jászberény (Jász-Nagykun-Szolnok)
Táncsics Mihály utca 5.
Jászberény Hungary
Tel: (57) 502-610
Fax: (57) 502-610
web : Jász Museum

Museums are not the innovations of recent centuries. The first museum opened its gate before the visitors in Alexandria. The goal was the same then as it is today: to share and spread our inestimable value - our culture.

Our enthusiasm about museums was driven by curiosity. How did people live in the past? When was this or that object invented? What does the painter want to express? We are to pose question in order to understand and value the world around us. In year 2000 we asked ourselves the question of where we can find the museums on the Internet. What we found was very little. Actual pieces of information about exhibitions and programmes were also missing. Often the web pages reflected the out-of-date reality of the past. It was then when we decided to make the museum.hu. And now we are here. We have done it at long last. We are eager to present the beauties and values of Hungary through the treasure houses of culture - the museums.

The Museum.hu partly serves as a search page, but also contains the home pages of the single museums. Apart from museums already owning a home page, museums were also contacting us that so far had had no opportunity to present themselves on the web. Many of them sent us hand written introductions and valuable pictures (perhaps they do not even have a computer), and kept on telephoning us to make final adjustments regarding even little details. We give thanks to all of these museums for their willing co-operation. We ask them to keep in contact with us in the future as well, for this is the only way to give an up-to-date picture of the present state of the Hungarian museums.

In Jászberény, former chief town of the Jazygian - Cumanian District, arose the idea - among the first in the country - to establish a museum. Deputy mayor, Orban Sipos stressed the significance of the idea to place the Jazygian relics in a worthy place, so the succeeding generations may look back upon their history. The museum of the Jazygians, which had been placed in one of the Town Hall's courtyard buildings, opened its gates to the public on 24th December 1874. The gradually increasing collection had been moved to one place and another Jazygian Horn Inn (Jászkürt Fogadó), District Headquarters (Kerületi Székház), Town Hall (Városháza) up until 1931, when they found permanent place for the museum, the empty horsestable of the Town Hall. The museum has been running ever since, in the classical building, with Dorian pillars, and has been steadfastly collecting written and objective documents of the Jazygians here since 1842.

During the past 130 years many directors had done tremendous work for the istitute. The museum's first 'guard' was János Ozoróczky, at the turn of the century, though Viktor Hild, antiquity expert, took care and enlarged the collection. Professor of archaeology, János Banner represents a crucial period in the history of the museum. He had been head of the institute for seven years from 1913. During his mandate the everydays of the institute started to sparkle. He expanded the museum's collecting areas into the fields of ethnography, and established a modern recording process for the collections. In 1926 Kálmán Réz retired vicar was appointed to take over the museum, who did a very good job by relating to the subject with enthusiasm, and also by popularizing the institute. A research staff of local history emerged around him (János Blénessy, József Porteleki, Ferenc Német, József Komáromy) whose activities started a new era in terms of the local history of the Jazygian region.

From 1950 major changes were at issue, namely, the state put its hands on the museum to make it one of the member museums of the County Museum Organization (Megyei Múzeumi Szervezet). It was József Komáromy who became director of the administratively newly formed institute followed by archaeologist, József Csalog. During this period the number of archaeological relics grew, whilst the ethnographical collection had been enlarged afterwards by Sándor Erdész and István Halmos. In 1958 János Tóth became head of the Jazygian museum and filled this position for 36 years. During these years the collections of local history, ethnography, natural science and industrial history had enlarged quite extentively, moreover a new wing had been atteched to the building alongside with a new warehouse. He also launched the Jazygian Booklets (Jászsági Füzetek) series, which has been very widely read ever since, and the research staff of local history had been united also by him.

The new director introduced further changes in the life of the museum in 1994. Major renovations were carried out and successful results came out of the trade alterations, which made this period also as significant as the above mentioned. The Jazygian Museum Foundation (Jász Múzeumért Alapítvány) established in December 1994 gave way for further publications and also provided the opportunity for permanent exhibitions. The museum launched its new paper called Redemption (Redemptio), which is widely read throughout the country.

Please check with vendor for all aspects of the information displayed here as the disabilityworld.com cannot be held liable for any inaccuracies or omissions. We will do our outmost to ensure that the information is as accurate as possible, if you have any comments please email us with the information.

Professional Web Design and Hosting service