Andor Semsey Museum

Andor Semsey Museum

4060 - Balmazújváros (Hajdú-Bihar)
Debreceni utca 1.
Balmazújváros Hungary
Tel: (52) 580-640
web : Andor Semsey Museum

This is a list that contains such particulars of the museums, which can be useful for the people with limited physical capabilities.

The idea of making the first occurred to us when we tried to find some information about a Hungarian museum on the web. We then decided to try and provide more information to all potential visitors, involving the handicapped who are sometimes constrained to turn back from the museum gate, or – instead of enjoying the exhibition - to watch out for the obstacles standing in their way.

A region history collection was established in Balmazújvároson in 1911 - on the initiative of elder Antal Varga headmaster. The collection of about 2300 items - ethnographical, historical relics, archive and private materials - were exhibited in the ground floor rooms of the local council. This museological inheritance was almost totally destroyed by the rowdyism of the Romanians in 1919, and that of the Russians in 1944.

The local council tried to establish a region history museum at the end of the 1950'ies, but this could only be accomplished in the second half of the 1960'ies. In 1964 one of the largest culture houses of the country was opened in Balmazújváros, a big chamber of which was arrenged for a region history exhibition. The founder of the museum was an enthusiastic amateur, József Harangi. The caretaker of the institute was called dr. Péter Fodor.

In 1974, on the initiative of the director of the museum - Imre Dankó - museums were established in several villages of the county. It was then that the local history collection moved to a separate building, too.

The building that gave home to the region history exhibition was built in 1889, by Andor Semsey -great supporter of Hungarian science and culture. It was built to be used as a Roman Catholic school. This school was functioning right up to the beginning of the 1970'ies.

The first permanent exhibition of the settlement was arranged by István Kilián, Hajnalka Csapóné Tábori and Ida Bárdi in 1974. Almost all units of this exhibition reflected the writings and spirit of Péter Veres. Actor Imre Soós and writer Imre Sarkadi were also given olace in the exhibition.

The more than 100-year-old building, built according to the popular baroque style, was wholly renoveted in the beginning of the 1990'ies. A tempral exhibition space, social rooms and a big store were also provided.

Apart from the permanent exhibitions visitors are welcome to about 4-6 tempral exhibitions every year. Relics collected by local citizens and art works of local artists are exhibited.

Please check with vendor for all aspects of the information displayed here as the cannot be held liable for any inaccuracies or omissions. We will do our outmost to ensure that the information is as accurate as possible, if you have any comments please email us with the information.

Professional Web Design and Hosting service